Friday, September 11, 2009

Modern Day Airhorn

I thought this post might be appropriate for today:

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Current mood:Smoks Farnov

Last weekend the Mrs. and I saw United 93. It wasn't the greatest film I have ever seen, but I left the theater thinking that it was a good thing to see. Some interesting tidbits about the film are that a lot of the air traffic controlers play themselves in the film, I believe that the makers of the film consulted with the families of the victims and the families gave their consent to make the movie, and David Rasche plays one of the passengers. If you don't know who David Rasche is, he played Sledge Hammer in the classic T.V. show of the same name. The two roles aren't exactly similar, but it was good to know that he is still alive. The film seems like a documentary and the parts that the writers had to create seemed to be pretty convincing. It is one of the few movies that I have gone to fully knowing how it is going to end, but throughout the movie you hope that it will be different. After seeing the film it brought back the memory of hearing the air horn being tested on Saturday mornings. When I was younger I remember hearing that horn on a consistent basis. Being young and unfamiliar with the purpose of the horn, I had to be told that it was used in the past to warn the people of a possible air raid during war times. I was also told of curfews and the evening blackouts to hide the coast from night attacks by the enemy. Those air horn tests on Saturday mornings served as a reminder of how things were during war time. I wonder if those sounds made people grateful for the country we live in and for the military that fight to maintain our freedoms and try and protect the rest of the world. I don't hear those air horns anymore. Perhaps we have better technology, or we are confident that our coast isn't threatened. But I do think that it is interesting how little time has passed since the terrorist attacks, yet the gravity of that day seems to have already lost its luster. The film brought back the memory of that day along with the emotions and confusion as to why something like this happens. That day is one of those historic days, similar to the assassination of JFK and Pearl Harbor, that everyone seems to remember where they were when it all went down. I was still in college and happened to turn on the T.V. before leaving for class. I remember the feeling of not believing what I was seeing. I remember feeling anger towards the people who did this and I also remember how satisfied I felt when our President said that this act would not go unpunished. Today my ears are filled with a different kind of noise. They ring with constant complaints about the fact that we are at war and the government in general. It never ceases to amaze me that our society can find a complaint with just about anything. I am very grateful for those who serve our country and who have chosen to put their lives on the line for my freedom. I actually wanted to see this film on its opening weekend, because a % of the proceeds were going to a charity, but didn't make it out. I was also torn about actually going to see the film, because I have a problem with people making money off of tragedy. I have the same problem with people making money off of religion. Speaking of religion, I felt the most interesting part of the film was to see the passengers praying at the back of the plane and the terrorists praying at the same time at the front of the plane. If that isn't irony, then I don't know what is. I am not going to give a recommendation to go see the film, or tell you not to go see it. If you do plan to see it, remember what kind of movie it is and make sure you see it with a full belly. (The Mrs. felt sick to her stomach.) I think that is all I have to say about that.

No comments: