Saturday, January 26, 2008

Moving

I was checking the recent Major League Baseball transactions the other day (just like every American should). I noticed that the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim signed outfielder Chad Hermansen to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training on January 8th. This was interesting to me, because I have actually met Chad in the past. Chad is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, just like me. A few years back he played a stint with the L.A. Dodgers (insert obligatory "Booooooo!" here). During that time we were in the same ward, which basically is a congregation that meets together based on geographic location. In our church it is common to help people move in and out of the ward. Thus was the case with Chad. He had been sent back down to the minor leagues and needed someone to help him move his things into the truck. So, my father-in-law and I went to help. For anyone who doesn't know, I am not only a huge San Diego Padre fan, but also a tremendous Dodger hater. That led to the following events:


Sam (my father-in-law) and I arrived at the condo the Hermansen's were moving out of. We said hello to Chad, his wife, and his mother-in-law. They all proceeded to thank us for helping them out. After a little more small talk someone asked, "Why didn't your teammates come help you move?" Before Chad could say anything I responded, "Are you kidding? The Dodgers can't even move a runner over from 1st to 2nd base. What makes you think they are capable of moving some furniture down to a moving truck?" Needless to say, Chad and I didn't develop a long-lasting friendship from our moving experience. However, due to the fact that the Dodgers were demoting him, I don't think he was much of a fan of them at the time either. Hopefully, he catches on with the Angels. He was a highly touted prospect in the 90's, and if he plays for the Angels I could actually support his team.

No comments: