Sunday, June 1, 2008

If you're feeling ill

My friend, Richard Caves, called me on Thursday and mentioned that he might end up with some tickets to The Cure concert on Saturday. He asked if I would be interested in coming. I didn't even check my calendar before saying yes. I got another call on Friday confirming that he did get the tickets and we were on for Saturday. I was excited for multiple reasons. The concert was at The Hollywood Bowl, which I have never attended. I really enjoy The Cure, and I have never heard them live before. I met up with Ric and his lady friend at the L.A. Zoo parking lot around 7:30. Parking was free, and the shuttle ride from there to Hollywood Bowl cost $3 round trip. So, it cost me a total of $3 to see the concert. If you weren't already jealous, the concert was amazing! Our seats were in the front row of the Super Seats. We were dead center. The stage was a distance from us, but there were tons of big screens showing close ups of the band. The sound was awesome. I don't know much about acoustics, but it seemed like the bowl shape helped keep the sound loud and clear, regardless of where you were sitting. I was very impressed, and hope to see another concert there in the future.The performance itself was incredible. If this wasn't the best concert I have been to, it was definitely near the top of the list. (As a disclaimer, I haven't been to too many concerts in my life.) We got there just as they were starting their first song. They then proceeded to play for 3 hours! It consisted of the main performance along with 4 encores. By the time they were done they had played 35 songs. They played my favorite song, "The Walk", fairly early on. The highlight of the night for me was when Robert Smith busted out the acoustic guitar and played "Friday I'm in Love", "In Between Days", and "Just Like Heaven" seamlessly one after the other. It sounded great. Throughout the night I was impressed with his guitar playing. They played a great mixture of songs from their 13 albums, played "The Lovecats" without a keyboard, and left everyone feeling like they got more than they paid for (especially me). The guys sitting next to me were kind enough to offer me some wine in a box and some pretzels. I politely declined. One of them then proceeded to dance throughout most of the night. He had perfected some form of dance which seemed to emulate being tazed. It added to the entertainment for the night. The concert was over a little after 11 and I was home just after midnight, which was also just in time for Bodie to want to hang out until almost 2 a.m. It was a very enjoyable night.

Here is the set list:

Main set: Underneath the Stars* / Prayers for Rain / A Night Like This / The Walk / The End of the World / Lovesong / Sleep When I’m Dead* / To Wish Impossible Things / Pictures of You / Lullaby / From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea / The Perfect Boy* / Hot! Hot! Hot! / The Only One* / Push / Friday I’m in Love / In Between Days / Just Like Heaven / A Letter to Elise / Never Enough / Wrong Number / One Hundred Years / Baby Rag Dog Book*

1st encore: If Only Tonight We Could Sleep / The Kiss

2nd encore: At Night / M / Play for Today / A Forest

3rd encore: The Lovecats / Let’s Go to Bed / Freakshow* / Close to Me / Why Can’t I Be You?

4th encore: Boys Don’t Cry

* = new song from forthcoming double-album, due Sept. 13
Here is a link to a pretty good review of the night.

5 comments:

Ken said...

Very cool.

Manda said...

Jealousy, that's what I'm feeling.

deesha said...

Actually, while reading this, I felt a little bit like I was just at a stake dance.

Ken said...

I forgot to mention, didn't Morrissey's birthday just pass? (I heard it on Kevin and Bean) I thought forsure you would have done some sort of tribute shrine type post. What happened? I thought you were his biggest fan?

Mr. Mustachio said...

Now I know why he hasn't been returning my calls lately. I just thought that he was being moody, which he hardly ever does(said with a sarcastic tone). I have a feeling that he is going to request I give him my "Morrissey's Biggest Fan" mug back.