Thursday, June 12, 2008

Bunk and Circumstance

I hate graduations. I've never enjoyed walking in them growing up. I suppose that being called "Joseph" Kelley at my high school graduation didn't help. I've heard people say that you grow to appreciate things more when you have kids. When it comes to graduations, that really hasn't done it for me yet. Which brings us to yesterday. Geronimo graduated from preschool. It may sound like a huge accomplishment, but I really haven't heard of anybody not graduating from preschool. Could you imagine that conversation?

Teacher: We're sorry Mr. and Mrs. Kelley, but Geronimo's finger painting skills really aren't going to allow him to advance to kinder.

Sara: Is there anything we can do?

Teacher: Well, we do have a summer program for the children who aren't finger painting at the expected level. If he can pass, then he will advance. If not, he is going to have to repeat preschool next year. Either way, he won't be able to walk in our graduation.

I think that I have grown to dislike graduations even more now that our kids have done them. It isn't so much because of the kids, but because of all the unbelievably idiotic parents. If you have been to a preschool graduation, you know exactly who I am talking about. For example, yesterday we arrived a little early to get good seats and to be close enough to take pictures and videos. All the people who showed up later just decided to stand up in front of us. I guess they figured that they were the only ones with kids graduating. The program listing all the other kids wasn't a big enough tip off. I was set up to film all the kids walking to the stage and just as Geronimo was getting in the frame some numb skull steps in front of me to film his own kid. I was really close to thanking him for letting me film his arm graduating. It wouldn't have been so bad if he wouldn't have looked back at me a couple of times and realized that he was in my way, and still continued to be in my picture. We had another lady during one of the songs walk in front of every camera to get close enough to take a picture of her kid. I could go on and on about making guys wear dresses and hats that you can't wear any place else, but I'm pretty tired.

Here are some pictures and videos of Geronimo on his graduation day:





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like Jack was just as stoked about being there as you were. I think he's flashing wa-ching signs in one of his photos.

Mr. Mustachio said...

One of the risks you take by letting your child be in public schools is that they will get in with the wrong crowd. However, we do enjoy hefty discounts at F.U. Shing Bakery now.

Debra said...

That's a strong word.......
Tell us how you really feel
Welcome to the world.......
Is there really such a Bakery?
If so they should be bleeped.

deesha said...

What a relief that he graduated! Sara must have done a great job working extra-hard with him on finger painting. Congrats!

Elizabeth J. said...

Could Jackson look any more like you? Despite that, he is dang cute, and I am so proud of his graduation. Wish we could have been there. If you would have sent out announcements then maybe we would have made the trip. Or at least I would have sent a cake...oh well, lost your chance.