Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Do You Hear It?

Mike, Deb, and Knick arrived the same day we did, in the early evening. By that time we had already done a little shopping. Sara and I spent the first of our married years together living in Provo and there were certain places that we had to visit while we were there. One of those places was Osaka.I was introduced to Osaka by my cousin Schmyson. It is located on Center Street. I am always amazed that it is still around when I come back to Provo, because it is never crowded and it costs so little to eat there. But, I am grateful to see it each time, because the food is so good. If you are ever in Provo and don't eat at Osaka, then you and I probably can't be friends.
I highly recommend the Steak or Chicken Donburi.
The kids were excited to be there.
Everyone seems to have their own way of using chop sticks.
And some people avoid the chopsticks all together.

At one point during the meal I noticed an old acquaintance of mine. He and I were in Ecuador at the same time and later were teammates on a couple of intramural basketball teams. You can imagine my surprise when I went over to say hello and his response was, "I can't remember your name." In his defense, it appeared as though he was on a date and not quite ready for a surprise guest. Still, how can anybody forget my name?

At another point during the meal Geronimo and Uncle Knick stepped outside and returned with these photos taken from Knick's iphone:
With ears like that, the dude on the left probably should consider a Star Trek costume.
The economy seems to be affecting everyone. I almost signed Geronimo up for the class, until I saw that they issue the kids their own blasters on the first day of class.
These guys were part of a booth at the local street fair set up for the 4th of July weekend. We decided to check it out the next day.

I don't know if I have become spoiled by the air-conditioned office I spend most of my time in, but it was hot when we left California and even hotter when we arrived in Utah. The street fair featured many booths with goods for sale and other various displays. There were various activities to help you remember what people used to do in the old days:
Like throwing a ring with some sticks. This game was obviously invented by someone who couldn't quite grasp the concept of a Frisbee.
The kids enjoyed learning what it was like to be a kid during Grandma and Grandpa's early years.
They also learned about fire safety from an animatronic dog. I don't know why we don't see more teaching from animatronics. Kids seem to pay attention more. I think we would see geometry grades go way up, if an animatronic bunny taught the class.
Geronimo is posing with a car that was built by a computer that my cousin, Schmayton built (reminds me of the story of the old woman who swallowed a fly).
The kids posed with the Star Wars crew. I'm not a Star Wars geek by any means, but what is going on with the dude on the left? Am I supposed to believe that he is a Jedi? Might I suggest Admiral Ackbar next year?

Travel tip: Every vacation needs a theme song. We got ours very early on in the trip. I dare you to watch this video and not have the song stuck in your head.

We spent the rest of the week asking each other if we could hear the voice of providence. Perhaps you might ask someone too?

1 comment:

Matt Bemis said...

Josh,

I talked to Colin after he saw you at Osaka and he felt like a complete dork about it. Yes, he was on a sort of date, but he says he sat there looking at you thinking that he should know your name. After I heard that, I asked him to try to get your cell phone number through facebook since I didn't have Internet access, but it was all for naught. Next time!