Friday, July 23, 2010

A Day With Sister Marshall

One of our mornings involved taking my cousin Loren fishing with us. He was a novice fisherman, and we weren't sure if he had ever caught anything before. The attire he showed up in didn't help clarify our suspicions. Apparently, he had just finished up at the rice paddy and didn't have time to change. His "fishing hat" caused Kyle to go off on some racial tirades throughout our trip. Teaching Loren how to catch fish was not going to be easy. This looked like a job for Mr. Mustachio!
Loren: "Oh. Look like roundeye get fish lucky catch."
Loren's first real fish.
Loren was actually doing quite well. Kyle and I think that he probably caught the most fish of anyone going out with us for the first time. I don't recall the exact number, but I'm sure Loren could tell you (just subtract a few from that number). Here are a few more pictures.


As the minutes of the morning passed, I began to notice something different about the fish that Loren was catching. They seemed to swim with a little more flair than the one's that Kyle and I were catching. As I started to focus a little more on our surroundings I noticed something following Loren around in the atmosphere. I didn't quite believe what I was seeing until we got home and I saw this picture:
There was, in fact, a rainbow following Loren around all day. When I saw this, I realized that he was the gayest fisherman that I have ever fished with. I then started to remember something he pointed out when we were just leaving Kyle's house. He pointed at this house and said, "I really enjoy your neighbor's landscaping". Of course, I caught plenty of fish. It was probably my best day catching.
I was on fire to start off with.

Loren was trying to keep up with me, but realized that Kyle might be a more reasonable target.
There were even times when Loren and I both caught fish at the same time.
What would happen was that I would hook a fish and then one of Loren's fish would then start following my fish in and eventually get hooked by Loren. It all makes so much more sense now that I have seen the pictures.
Kyle was falling behind me by quite a lot of fish. I felt a little sorry for him, so I decided I would let him reel in my next fish. I cast my lure, started to reel in and snagged one for him. You could see the excitement in his eyes as I offered him my rod. Here is the result:

This was the catch of the day, and possibly of the stream fishing portion of our vacation.
Kyle was very pleased with the catch.
We all hooked fish at the same time at one point, but you wouldn't be able to tell by these attempts at proving it.


This is what a picture of Loren catching a fish would look like if it took place in the 1970's. I guess Kyle's camera has a Polaroid mode?

A couple more fish pictures of Loren.

Almost the catch of the day.
I would deem the trip a success overall. We probably could have done without all of Kyle's racial slurs towards Loren, and the rainbow that followed Loren all around. I also just remembered that Loren seemed to have packed a whole fruit basket in his backpack for the trip. Coincidence? Probably not. You would think that would be the end of our day with Loren, but you would be wrong. We met up with him later on that night for game night. Game night will be featured in the next post, so stay tuned.






3 comments:

Sarah said...

I totally believe he packed a basket of fruit. Also, I've never been fishing. I would suck.

L.S.Marshall said...

The only rainbow I saw was the one you had on the end of your line.

Elizabeth J. said...

I've been Crawdad fishing...does that count?

Please spare us any pictures of Noah from game night.