Thursday, August 20, 2009

Open the Door, Get on the Floor

As summer winds down, I wanted to make sure the kids had a few places to brag about visiting to their friends. Of course, the first thing that came to mind was giant dinosaurs. We loaded up the car, picked up my mom, and then headed out to visit the Cabazon Dinosaurs. People cool enough to have watched Pee-wee's Big Adventure, will recognize this place. As Pee-wee would say, "Why don't you take a picture, it'll last longer". Here they are:




I didn't have to worry about losing my fingers, because this one isn't a carnivore.
However, this one took a chunk out of the junk in my trunk (beat that Dr. Seuss).





It costs $5 to go on the adventure. I would say it was worth it, for the one-time experience.
There were quite a few robotic dinosaurs to see and an outside self-guided tour to view a few other ones. It was very, very hot. They did have misters to spray water on you, but it was still very hot. If you go, make sure you bring water.


They had a "fossil dig site" for the kids. They could dig for rocks with dinosaur names on them and then trade them in for small prizes.
This one appeared to be from France.
Of course Maddie was able to tame one of them.

The ancient potato chip lizard.
Prehistoric knights?
Luckily there was a very flimsy fence keeping the dinos away from us.
Apparently, the river dance has been around a long time.
This is a comediasarus. It laughed at all of my jokes.
My mom tried explaining what it was like being married to Mike.
At the end of the tour, you can climb all the way up into the T-Rex's mouth. The kids look like they would have been a very light snack.
I don't know if Sara was more excited about leaving or the fact that we were going to the outlet mall about a mile away. All things considered, it was a good trip. The kids really liked it and have already asked to go back multiple times. I would recommend making a stop next time you are traveling that way. It will only take a couple of hours, and you will always be able to brag about it. My one complaint would be that the current owners of the place are using it to promote Creationism. I'm fine with that, but it meant that there wasn't a single T-shirt I could buy that didn't say, "By Design, Not By Chance". I really wanted a T-rex shirt too.

No comments: