Friday, August 21, 2009

Lo Futuro

How can I live in the present,
When the future is so clear?
You will fulfill my happiness
And wipe away my fear.

How can I live in the here and now,
When the future is so bright?
I will be kept warm by your presence
In the late, cold, winter night.

What is today is insignificant,
When compared to what will be.
I spend the day embraced in thought
Of the life you’ll spend with me.

Images occupy my head,
Looking to that future day.
I’ll be kneeling at the altar,
Waiting to hear you say:

That you have seen the future too,
And waited anxiously.
For the day to come that we work together,
For all eternity.

That you love me,
And have counted the days.
Until we come together,
And not go our separate ways.

That with each day,
You hoped for the next.
So we could become a team,
And begin our quest.

A quest for truth,
And living righteously.
When I will be there for you,
And you will be there for me.

What can compare with that great day?
I have yet to discover.
For, over the years in my search,
I find that there is no other.

That makes today just one less,
And the future just a bit more close.
Then I will share my life with you,
My love, my thoughts, my hope.

Being the best husband I know how,
And trying to make your dreams come true.
How can I focus on what’s now,
When what’s now is without you?

Seeing our children grow and play,
And being a part of their lives.
And them knowing of our love,
In times of trial and strife.

Falling asleep by your side,
And waking to your kiss.
Only the future can make it possible,
For you to fulfill that wish.

Knowing that the future will not leave me alone,
As I now am.
I ponder what those days will bring,
And anxiously I plan.

When the worth of the present,
Will quickly evolve.
And each moment together,
Will keep me enthrawled.

Why can’t today be tomorrow?
I am not quite sure.
Why put off a love,
That is sweet and pure?

These are the thoughts
That in my head abound.
They make the present seem
Like unsteady ground.

When the trials come,
I want to stand on something firm.
I know the future will bring challenge,
But I need to learn.

And how better to learn,
Than with you?
To prove to all,
That we will be true.

That our love is strong,
And we are a great team.
That others can look to our shoulders,
For a place to lean.

That Father will one day,
Look to us and say.
“Your love has stood the test,
and your future is beyond days.”

Sara, my heart is yours to mold,
With hope that I will have yours.
On August 21st they will combine,
And we will open new doors.

Doors to our future,
That will not close behind us.
So when our children are in need,
They will know where to find us.

Open doors that allow us to look back,
And cherish what led to who we are.
With our hands tightly grasped,
We realize that the future isn’t so far.

10/30/98

3 comments:

Debra said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!
A poet....
What a great poem....

Anna said...

Awwww...Josh has always been sparkly and shiny! And apparently had lots of time on his hands way back then!

The Queen said...

Seriously. You crack me up.