Monday, December 17, 2007

Top Ten List

Christmas isn't exactly my favorite holiday. Not due to the reason for the season, but because of all that goes along with it. I'm not a big fan of hanging lights and getting a tree. Getting gifts can sometimes seem laborious too. However, there are some things that I really like about Christmas time. I really like looking at other peoples' Christmas lights. Some are super awesome like this one:


Some of the other things I like are seeing the look on the kids' faces when they open up gifts that they have asked for, Christmas ham, and getting together with family. Those things are the finale of all the madness that leads up to them. The one thing that gets me through all the unpleasantries is Christmas music. I love Christmas music! In fact, I sometimes listen to Christmas music at other times during the year. I have already changed my music player to include many great holiday songs, but here are my top ten favorite holiday songs:
10. The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late) - Alvin and the Chipmunks
I remember listening to this song on an 8-track. It instantly brings back childhood memories of Christmas.
9. Christmas Wrapping - The Waitresses
This was the first really "alternative" style of Christmas song I remember. It used to be a holiday regular on KROQ. I don't listen enough anymore to know if it still is.
8. Baby it's Cold Outside - Various artists
This is probably the most recent addition to my list. Maybe the movie Elf had something to do with it? I don't have a particular favorite version of this song, but James Taylor does a pretty good one. In fact, James Taylor's Christmas album is a must listen during the holidays.
7. Little Saint Nick - The Beach Boys
It's always good to think about the beach in the winter time. It may even keep you a little warmer on a cool night.
6. Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee
Whenever I hear this song, I get the image of a cardboard cutout of Michael Jordan going around a model train track.
5. Feliz Navidad - Jose Feliciano
I liked this song way before I knew what it meant. I vaguely recall Pee Wee Herman saying, "Feliz Blah Ble Blah" on a Christmas special. This was actually my ringtone on my last cell phone.
4. Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time - Paul McCartney
I don't know how anyone could hear this song and not have a wonderful Christmas time. This song is so good that De La Soul samples it in one of their songs.
3. Marshmallow World - Bing Crosby
It makes me wonder what it would have been like growing up where it snowed in the winter.
2. Sleigh Ride - The Ronettes
The sound of Motown is awesome, and adding that sound to a Christmas song just makes it even better.
1. Last Christmas - Wham!
I think this is because of the time period that I grew up in, but I could listen to this on rotation for hours (insert obligatory statement about not being gay here). There have been many different versions made since Wham!, but none of them compares. So what are your favorite Christmas songs?
Almost a week until Christmas is here.
p.s. Don't forget that Kwanzaa is on the 26th.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

how can you forget run dmc?

Mr. Mustachio said...

If it was a top 15 list, Christmas Time is Hollis would have made the list. It is included on my music player though.