Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

Recently I was at a jewelry store in the mall looking for a gift for the mother of my children when the woman behind the counter asked, "Are you two together?". I looked up from the display case and then at the woman and then at the man with a baby stroller at the other end of the store that she was looking at. I had already started saying no before looking up, because I wasn't together with anyone at the time. I waited a minute to see the woman who had obviously bent down to tie her shoe the instant that I looked over, but that woman didn't exist. The jewelry sales lady had assumed that not only was I gay, but that I was a gay man raising a baby with another gay man. I was too concerned with finding a gift for the mother of my children to stop and think to ask the jewelry sales lady why she made that assumption, but I did appreciate the fact that she thought I would be capable of raising a child. She couldn't have been more wrong. Our kids wouldn't stand a chance with me trying to raise them. Luckily, their mother does a great job of keeping them safe around me. Happy Mother's Day!

p.s. Surprisingly, or not surprisingly(depending on who you ask), this was not the first time I have been mistaken as gay. Perhaps those stories will come to light in the future.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Yag. I'm glad you're not gay. If you were, we wouldn't have wonderful, wonderful Sara.

deesha said...

Maybe the salesperson just thought it might take at least 2 men to pick out jewelry for one of your wives?