Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Cue The Little Drummer Boy

One of my favorite things about Christmas is the music. It isn't uncommon to find me listening to "Christmas" music throughout the whole year (Feliz Navidad was my ring tone for over a year), but the play list gets major rotation throughout the holidays. I enjoy discovering new songs each year and hearing various artists cover the classics. If you haven't muted my music player at the bottom of the page, then you have been privileged to experience great holiday music. It seems like I have a new favorite each year. And so, by popular demand, I present you with my top 10 holiday songs to listen to in 2009 (All of which can be found in the play list at the bottom of the page):

10. Funky, Funky Christmas - Electric Jungle: This was the first year I experienced this song. Everyone knows that Christmas could use a little more funk and this song provides it.

9. Merry Christmas Darling - The Carpenters: I think I might be the only person my age that likes the Carpenters, but they do a great job of covering the Christmas classics. This happens to be my current favorite of all their great Christmas songs.

8. Alien for Christmas - Fountains of Wayne: Speaking of the Carpenters, my favorite Carpenter song is Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft. So, it is only appropriate that aliens make my Christmas list. We have been listening to this song for quite a few years, but it doesn't seem to get old. Who wouldn't want an alien for Christmas?

7. Christmas Day - Dido: Interestingly enough, Dido was born on Christmas day. This song has nothing to do with her birth, but her voice is unique and this song is smooth on the ears.

6. Everything's Gonna Be Cool This Christmas - The Eels: This was the first year I have heard this song. I like the Eels, although they may be confused about why Baby Jesus was born (they think it was to rock).

5. The Lights and Buzz - Jack's Mannequin: This was my favorite song last Christmas. Being a Californian, the chorus is pretty catchy. The story behind this song makes it even more interesting. Here is what wikipedia has to say about it:

It is the first song frontman Andrew McMahon wrote and recorded after his stem cell transplant in connection with his leukemia diagnosis in late 2005. The song's lyrics are heavily influenced by his recovery from the disease, indicated in lines like "I'm coming home from my hardest year" and "It's good to be alive". With a rather depressive holiday theme, a lush piano accompaniment and seemingly less emphasis on the vocals, the song stands, both musically and thematically, in contrast to the uplifting summer feel of McMahon's 2005 album Everything in Transit.

4. What Christmas Means to Me - Stevie Wonder: Stevie Wonder is awesome, and this is my favorite of his Christmas songs. I think a few commercials have influenced me though.

3. It Doesn't Have to Be That Way - Jim Croce: A classic story of lost love at Christmas. I wonder if he is talking about Leroy Brown.

2. Christmas Must Be Tonight - Hall and Oates: They were one of my favorite bands growing up. They cover some great Christmas songs, but this is by far my favorite. I don't know how I hadn't heard this one until this year. The lyrics reflect the true meaning of Christmas.

...............and now, the moment you've all been waiting for. My #1 Christmas song to hear in 2009 is (that's where you come in little drummer boy).

Elf's Lament - Barenaked Ladies: Everyone likes bare naked ladies, and the band is pretty o.k. too. I hadn't heard this song until this year. We play it a lot in the car and the kids always request it (probably making it Mrs. Mustachio's least favorite). When we think about everything to do with the holidays, it seems as though the elves become an afterthought. Poor elves. Here is a video of a live performance. Do you have any favorite Christmas songs? How about sharing?

No comments: