Sunday, June 21, 2009

Go Padres!

Have you ever known someone who puts a lot of thought in all of the gifts that they give? You can tell that they have spent a long time trying to find the perfect gift. However, the gift isn't nearly as good as the gifter thinks it is. Then you have to pretend that it is a great gift. Well, if you know me, then you know someone like that. I know I'm bad at gifting. I can tell by how infrequently some of my gifts have been used. As hard as you may try to convince me that my gifts are good, I usually know instantly that I have made a gifting mistake. Today is the day we celebrate fathers. I was very tempted to give my father this:I realized before making the purchase that as awesome as a mustache necklace may seem, it probably isn't a good gift for a man that I have never seen wear any kind of necklace. So, I decided to go with something more traditional:
I have been getting better at going against my initial gifting instincts, but I think it is a problem that will plague me for the rest of my life.

A lot of people might use today to blog about how great their fathers are. I'm pretty sure that my father doesn't read this, so I will spare the effort to try and butter him up over the internets. I will say this though, I like my dad. Many people have thought that Mike is our step-father, because we call him by his first name. Some find this to be disrespectful. I don't remember when exactly we transitioned from dad to Mike, but I remember why. We called him Mike because he seemed like one of our friends. If under some strange circumstances we ended up being the same age, I'm sure I would have wanted to hang out with Mike. I'm not certain that he would have felt the same way. Mike has been a great friend. We can talk about anything, we have similar interests, and I know I can always depend on him for help. We had the opportunity to be together with our entire family today. It was an enjoyable time. I'm grateful that Mike impregnated our mom to make it all possible.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Pretty fond of Mike too. I'm glad he's my Uncle because everyone needs to have an "Uncle Mike."