Thursday, January 15, 2009

We Wasted the Good Surprise on You!

Is it just me, or have commercials been getting worse? I wonder if they think that we are going to skip over them from the DVR anyway, so why bother with good ones. There has been a recent theme in commercials that has grown to irritate me. I present one example of this below:

I have a long running boycott imposed on Carl's Jr., so that may have been a factor in my dislike of this commercial. However, nothing about this commercial rings true. "I'd pay $14 any day for this burger." Really? Then you would be a terrible contestant on The Price is Right. How many people are really willing to pay $14 for a burger by itself? And did he actually pump his fist in the air at the end? Nothing about that situation would require you to get that excited. You just got tricked about something you just ate. You didn't just hit a game winning home run or roll doubles in Monopoly. If that is a real person as they claim, and not an actor, then I declare him to be an idiot.

Sadly, this advertising has been copied. Here is one from Pizza Hut:



Again, the people are excited after being tricked about what they just ate. I'm not buying this as not being staged. Somebody is eating Mac & Cheese with bacon and calling it "decadent"? Well, it is Premium Mac & Cheese(typed with sarcasm). Here is my beef with both of these commercials: You would never be this happy about having eaten something under false pretenses.

I remember in Ecuador one time I was eating what I thought was arroz con pollo (chicken and rice) and thinking to myself that the chicken was really rubbery. After I had finished, the people who provided the meal asked if I liked it. I said it was O.K. to spare their feelings. It was after that when they revealed that I had just eaten octopus. I did not start pumping my fist in the air or clapping or get all excited about the trick. It was a good thing that I am not allergic to octopus. It is only about a month until my poor people T.V. will stop working. Maybe I will save myself from these commercials and not buy a converter box.

Since I am talking about commercials that bother me, here is one of my least favorite commercials of all-time (as a side-note, IKEA is also on my boycott list). I thought it had been put to rest at the end of 2007, but it has sprouted back up. I know that Sara loves it when this comes on, solely for the pain it causes me. So, enjoy:

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think your Grandma's brother reacted that way when he recieved her "special sandwich"? I don't know if he threw his fist in the air with excitement. On a side note, I REALLY enjoy the IKEA commercial.

Mr. Mustachio said...

I can no longer be in the same room with you.

museumeg said...

What does it take to earn a spot on your boycott list?

deesha said...

I loved this post. Especially the Price is Right comment. Your experience with the octopus reminded me of 8th grade, when in Biology class, we were given the opportunity to taste octopus. Since when has Biology class ever made someone think, "Hmm, I'd really like to see what that tastes like" as you are dissecting the earthworm or frog. That family is lucky you didn't throw up like my friend Heather who decided to try a taste...

Ken said...

I don't care about the Carl's Jr. commercials, because their burgers are so dang good!!

Not trying any mac and cheese no matter how "decadent". So again, I'm unaffected by the commercial.

That Ikea commercial cracks Anna up.

Anonymous said...

I see what your saying....tricking people makes them happy.... since when?
The Ikea company must have extra advertizing money because that commercial comes on tons.....There are two versions of it. When it first came out it was funny but enough already.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what you're all complaining about. I trick people every day and they seem to enjoy it. I know I do.

Mr. Mustachio said...

Thanks for keeping up to date with my blog Satan.

Because of the boycott question, there will be a near future post on who is on my list and how they got there.

Ken,
I know your feelings on Carl's, but would you pay $14 for their burgers? It's too bad they don't make their fries the same way as In-N-Out. And I think that Anna likes that commercial because she knows I don't. She and Sara probably discuss it over the many dinners they share together.

Deesha,
I'm guessing that "Heather" is just an alias for Deesha. And it is natural to want to know what you are working on tastes like. I'm sure I'm not the only person to take a swig of motor oil.

Debra(if that is really you),
The IKEA commercial was never funny and your sense of humor has now been called into question.

Unknown said...

Contrary to popular belief, I really did have friends back then. And one of them was named Heather. And she tried the octopus. And she threw up. We are no longer friends because she wasn't very bright.