Friday, January 16, 2009

Electric Boogaloo!

When I was a youngster my grandparents agreed to take us to the drive-in to watch Breakin' 2 Electric Boogaloo. I may be completely wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure they weren't a part of the whole break dancing craze back in the 80's. I didn't realize it at the time, but it seems like sometimes you watch movies you could care less about for the benefit of your youngsters. I have gotten used to doing this for the wife(However, the only Twilight movie I'll watch with her has to have Zone attached to it), but now it looks like that will be the case with the kids as well. Thus was the scene with Skyler today. She has been asking to go see Paul Blart Mall Cop for weeks. So, I bit the bullet and took her to see it on opening day. I don't exactly know why she wanted to see it so badly, but think it has something to do with her uncle Jed. Paul Blart(a.k.a. Kevin James) and Jed seem to have some similar qualities and I think subconsciously it has caused Skyler to want to see the movie.

Here is my review of the experience: I didn't see him with my own eyes, but apparently Kevin James was in the crowd. Why else would the audience clap at the beginning and end of the movie? Were they applauding for the guy making the movie fit on the screen? I'll never understand that. There were a couple of scenes where I almost chuckled. Other than that, it was probably as good for me as Electric Boogaloo was for my grandparents. However, Skyler liked it so much that she proclaimed we would buy it when it comes out on DVD.

Staying with the visual media theme, I got home from basketball around 12:30 this morning and hopped into bed a smidgin before 1. I fired up the Tivo and started to watch The Office. The wife rolled over and asked if I had watched My Name is Earl yet. After telling her no she suggested that I watch it first. So I switched to Earl and my love for my wife immediately increased. This is what I saw:


I know that this is just a fake game show, but who wouldn't want to see this actually happen? Terrorists, that's who. The show did leave me with mixed emotions, as it ended with the words "To be continued." I know I will get to see more Ponch, but I'll have to wait a whole week. On a final note, I watched The Office afterward and thoroughly enjoyed it. I especially liked the part where Dwight gets pinned against the fence by a car. I can't imagine anyone doing something like that in real life. Can you, Jed?

No comments: