Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tough Decisions


I've mentioned in a previous post my enjoyment of playing jokes on people when I never actually see the end result. If I ever need a good chuckle, I just think about a past joke pulled and the reaction I imagine happened. I can't be the only person who does this. Well, another opportunity has presented itself to me.

I have a pretty common name, and because of this I periodically receive emails meant for another Joshua Kelley. In the past I have exchanged multiple messages with a girl who couldn't be convinced that she wasn't my sister. Somebody tries to get me to come support their prayer group and scripture study every couple of months (but I think they have given up on me, because it has been a while since the last email). My favorite experience of being "Joshua Kelley" was when I received an email regarding a surprise birthday party for "my" friend and college classmate. They reminded "me" of the date and time and asked who could bring various items for the party. Being the generous person that I am, I replied and volunteered to bring the chairs they needed. I also mentioned that I could get a really good deal on a nice birthday cake and that I would take care of that too. I never heard back after the party, but I'm sure it was a surprise party. The way I imagine it has Joshua Kelley showing up at the party without anything he said he would bring:
"Where's the birthday cake you said you were going to bring?"
"I never said I was going to bring the cake?"
"Stop messing around. He's going to be here any minute now and we need to put out the cake."
"Seriously, I don't know what you are talking about. Man, I would have brought some chairs if I had known there weren't going to be enough for everyone to sit."
I still can't think of that story without smiling.

So, a few days ago I received an email confirming "my" new MySpace account and reminding "me" of "my" password. This has presented a tough decision to me. Do I a) help create "my" new profile, b) wait a while and change "my" password, c) wait a while and make subtle changes to "my" profile, d) wait a while and then change "my" password, e) wait a while, make major changes to "my" profile, and then change "my" password, or f) do something else? Some people say that life is full of tough decisions, and this just proves those people right.

5 comments:

museumeg said...

You are a bad, bad man!

Jed said...

I vote for F) waiting long enough for "you" to aquire several friends. after several months change the password and start sending messages to these friends. hopefully from reading previous posts and messages you can determing who "your" girlfriend is, and then break up with her or tell her that you've been cheating on her ect..

and i disagree with museumeg, this is an excellent idea and you will be blessed for doing the lords work.

Kimberly said...

i also disagree with museumeg.

like jed said, wait till "you" have a nice amount of friends. then let everyone know "you" are 'coming out of the closet'

it's an opportunity of a lifetime... don't let it pass you by!

Ken said...

Where's the Skyler birthday blog?

tsk, tsk.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.